1. Feminism Intake
In this post-everything age, Feminism has begun reeking of Post-Feminist sentiments, suggesting that feminist movement is both dead and obsolete. This questionnaire is designed to sample anti-sexist North American women's perspectives on Feminism's relevancy.
Feminism Questionnaire
1. Susannah Bartlow
Buffalo, NY
2. 26-31
3. I would prefer to say "I advocate feminism" rather than relish in identity politics.
4. Feminism is always evolving to meet the specific needs of each era's feminists. Sexism is inextricably linked to racism and classism, and it is impossible to be post-feminist until we are also post-racist and post-classist.
5. Reproductive rights.
Addressing the ways in which inequities in gender, race, and class are inseparable.
Abolishing the Feminine Mystique once and for all, breaking down traditional male/female roles.
Creating spaces where women feel safety and support.
Eliminating the societal shame surrounding femininity or woman-ness.
Confronting sexism as it arises in its various forms.
Shattering the glass ceiling, welcoming women into the world of professionalism with equal footing to men.
Not applicable--we have already achieved all our goals.
Getting women more access to money and power, though not necessarily within the traditional job market. Also, I object to the either/or coding of the questionnaire--all of these activities, including the "we have already achieved our goals" are inextricable and must be understood as part of a dialogic process, not ranked in numerical order. Though it's fun to try.
6. 2nd Wave Feminism
3rd Wave Feminism
Riot Grrl
Anti-racist feminism and womanist theory
7. My mother is a Methodist minister. I went to a women's college. My father did most of the cooking. I am bisexual. I study women's literature alongside men's and view all life activities through the lenses of a poet, activist, and feminist. Right now I work for the Institute for Research and Education on Women & Gender, so pretty much everything in my life is a feminist project, though it may not always be that way.
8. In my daily life I often feel sexism but, more specifically, gender bias and a refusal for the larger community to respond positively to the ways in which I try to play with gender and see power as accessible to everyone in a variety of ways.
My friends are very supportive, but I am labeled as "the feminist" in my department, and the academic ghetto for women's research is still alive and well.
9. I reject the idea of "hierarchy of oppression" and have instead noticed that, in the hierarchy of the university, there is very little space to discuss the complex ways in which oppressions intersect, sometimes pitting people against each other.
10. A more fluid understanding of gender and power, in which we realize that our sexist society is really the operation of hundreds of daily power negotiations, and our activities on a structural level need to respond to that.
More egalitarian economic system.
A woman-centered movement that is more receptive to multiple perspectives within an umbrella of united goals.
You should totally read Benita Roth's *Separate Roads to Feminism*--the wave theory doesn't really work except for a small number of women.
This is an awesome survey; thanks for your research!

No comments:
Post a Comment