Hi Adviser,
Happy October! I'm writing to update you on my job activities and my work.
The new job has been exhausting and thrilling--everything we imagined
and more! I've been working 50 hours a week or so, getting new
programs together and spending almost all my time on
definitional/assessment conversations about core issues, hopes and
dreams for the new Women's Center. It's incredibly exciting and
rewarding. I'm teaching an Intro to Women's Studies course which is
going surprisingly well--fantastic conversations among students who
range from seniors doing theses on Empire to new sorority pledges and
male lacrosse players. I am also doing YWCA rape crisis training--for
better or worse, they only offer it once a year, and I need to do it
for the students as well as for my own edification.
Work-wise, needless to say, things have suffered but I am righting the
boat. Attached is 18 pages on Meridian. I've also completely revised
the chapter on Lorde & Rich that we decided to restructure. Please
let me know if you'd like to see that now or if you'd rather wait for
the complete diss draft--I'm pretty happy with it and felt like it was
time to move on but would be happy to show it to you at any point.
I'm sorry I don't have more but the move, work, and settling in have
been occupying most of my time. I am currently required to finish
by February. As a refresher
I am also attaching my projected Table of Contents.
Though I expect I could apply for another extension, since I have the
job, I'd rather push through. I welcome your thoughts!
Thanks, as always, for your feedback and support. Please let me know
if you'd like to meet in person--there's a chance I'll be in Buffalo
over Dickinson's fall break (October 10-14) and I certainly could make
arrangements to come up ASAP for dissertation-related conversation.
Just for reference, my cell is and my daytime number is
717-245-1966. 1966, by the way, is the year that both NOW and the
Black Panther Party were founded.
Be well,
Susannah
**
hi new friends,
each of you has expressed an interest/willingness/lack of revulsion at
the idea of seeing my dissertation. this is the chapter i like the
best right now--actually, heavily influenced by what i've been doing
at Dickinson.
definitely, please, don't feel *any obligation to read this at all*.
i am totally serious about that. some people go their whole adult
lives not having to read feminist literary theory. you could be one
of those people! yet if for some reason you are able, find the time,
finish the magazine in the bathroom early, whatever, i'd be thrilled
to buy you lunch and hear what you think.
many thanks,
Susannah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- susannah
- "To live is so startling. It leaves but little room for other occupations." -- Emily Dickinson
No comments:
Post a Comment