10.18.2007

seems like an oxymoron...

but today is Blog Action Day, so i present to you another list:

THINGS I DO EVERY DAY TO BE PSEUDO-ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE
(with the things I don't do, but am always conscious of, indicated by an adolescent "not")

1. take shorter showers (not)
2. use the kitchen and bathroom faucet at half or quarter-pressure (pull it all the way up, then lower it so the stream is half what it normally is--this conserves a lot of water for the washing a single bowl/testing the heat activities)
3. ride my bike (not)
4. limit my car travels/choose efficient routes/park far away or inconveniently so as to increase my walking time/otherwise limit my driving
5. recycle rather than throw out anything remotely recyclable, including dissertation drafts and kleenex boxes
6. re-use printer paper from work (carry it home with me)
7. use one of my two plastic coffee cups rather than buying coffee with a paper/styrofoam cup
8. take the train (not)
9. use re-usable plastic containers to transport and store food (rather than plastic bags)
10. politely decline to take plastic bags at stores and use my tote bags for grocery shopping* (*occasionally, I am too tired to deal with the clerk's irritation, and then I re-use the plastic bags for scooping & disposing of cat litter)
11. buy at a local grocery store (rather than a regional chain) about half the time I shop
12. notice and support the locally made stuff whenever I can
13. when I have money, I buy organic and locally produced stuff
14. conserve energy by turning off lights at home except for the room I'm currently in
15. conserve energy by plasticking windows and monitoring windows, doorways, etc, to make sure we conserve heat at home

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
"To live is so startling. It leaves but little room for other occupations." -- Emily Dickinson